The Blackmagic Design SmartScope Duo 4K Rack-Mounted Dual 6G-SDI Monitors is a monitoring solution for studio and location productions, displaying video with resolutions up to 3840 x 2160 at 30p. It features two 8" monitors each with a loop-through SDI input and output. The inputs are auto-sensing/selecting so you don't have to worry about matching the input format; the monitor will display any supported format that you feed it. You can choose to select to display either the input video or one of six scope displays, while the input video passes through the monitor to downstreamed devices.
You use the USB connector to initialize the monitor on your network; after that you can control the monitors using the supplied software via the Ethernet connector. This allows you to adjust the monitors' brightness and color as well as select the monitors display mode - video or scope view. The SmartScope Duo 4K also incorporates a Tally display around the border of the image, which works with industry standard Tally systems. The unit takes up three rack height units, but is less than two inches deep (including the connector depth), which makes it well suited for use in production trucks where space is at a premium. The unit also automatically flips the image if you need to install the unit upside down.
Note: SmartScope Duo v1 and v2 are functionally identical, with v2 containing a slightly different internal component set.
Monitors SD/HD/3G/6G-SDI Signals
The SmartScope Duo 4K allows you to monitor SD, HD, 2K, and UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) video. The inputs are auto-sensing/switching to match the supported input video format. Each monitor features one 6G input and one reclocked loop-through 6G output.
Video or Scope View
You can select from either the video feed or one of six scope views of the video signal:
- Waveform: Displays the luminance component of the video signal on an IRE scale.
- Vectorscope: Allows you to accurately measure colors in the video signal, and is a valuable tool when matching cameras, or when you need to align the hue on the output of decks.
- Parade: You can choose to display either RGB or YUV Parade. RGB Parade lets you check for illegal colors, plotting them against an IRE Scale. The YUV Parade display shows the YUV component video as it is transmitted down the SDI cable.
- Audio Views: allows you to monitor 16 channels of audio, checking the levels and the audio phase. You can monitor the levels of all 16 channels at the same time, or monitor the stereo phase of SDI audio pairs. The stereo phase meter plots left and right audio as an XY scope display, and out of phase audio can be seen as either a left or right leaning display.
- Histogram: The Histogram view lets you see where the pixels are in your video, and how they are distributed from black to white. You can see where the overall exposure is, and if you are exposing the brighter areas of your image with enough detail.
The monitor features an Ethernet in and an Ethernet out port, and you set up the unit using the USB 2.0 port. After that, you use the included free control utility with either a Mac or Windows computer via the Ethernet connection to select your views and make any adjustments to the monitor for brightness and color.
Each monitor supports the Tally function with different colored borders indicating the Tally condition: preview, on air, and recording. The tally connector is compatible with switchers and automation systems.
SmartView monitors may be installed in the extreme top or bottom of equipment racks. The SmartView monitor will automatically sense the rotation angle of the screen and flip the image to the correct rotation. You can even remove the front panel and rotate it 180 degrees if required.